Woman infected with flesh-eating bacteria after swim at Fort Myers Beach
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. – A woman from Fort Myers Beach said bacteria is destroying her legs after she jumped into the Gulf of Mexico at Fort Myers Beach for a swim.
The bacteria is called Vibrio Vulnificus, and it’s common in the Gulf during the summer months, experts said.
Michelle Schrowe said she got it after going swimming with freshly shaved legs.
“I had taken a shower that morning and shaved my legs. The bottom part of my legs,” Schrowe said. “I woke up the next morning and noticed splotches and burning on my skin. It felt like it had been burnt in a fire.”
Naturally, she went to the hospital, where she found out her skin had been infected with flesh-eating bacteria.
“Very alarming. My treatment isn’t over. I’m just beginning my treatment. It’s basically eating my flesh. That’s what it’s doing,” Schrowe said.
Dr. Cliff Renk, a Microbiology Professor from FGCU said this kind of bacteria is present in the Gulf Every Summer, and can especially affect immunocompromised people.
“It’s higher in concentrations in warmer months. Right now, the gulf is about 85 degrees and has the potential to get into cuts and bruises.” Renk said.
Meaning if you have a cut or scrape anywhere on your body, you might want to stay on dry land.
The post Woman infected with flesh-eating bacteria after swim at Fort Myers Beach appeared first on NBC2 News.
#capecoralmortgage, #capecoramortgagerates, #mortgagecapecoral, *Top News, Flesh-Eating Bacteria, Fort Myers Beach, Health, Local, News