LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. — Balloons from your backyard birthday party or graduation celebration could pose a significant brush fire risk, Lehigh Fire Rescue officials said.
A mylar balloon recently hit a powerline and started a brush fire. The charred balloons were found at the scene by investigators.
The quick work of firefighters prevented the fire from getting out of control and potentially damaging homes.
“Any of those balloons that have that metallic looking inside, the can charge electricity,” Kaite Heck, a spokesperson for Lehigh Fire Rescue, said. “We’re...