Cape Coal toddler dies after drowning in family pool
CAPE CORAL, Fla. — A 2-year-old died four days after he was found floating facedown in his family’s swimming pool in Cape Coral on May 7, officials said.
An investigation report from the Cape Coral Police Department recounts the day where the toddler got out of the house and drowned in the pool.
His parent told investigators that the 2-year-old was eating a hot dog and grapes and asked to go swimming on Friday night. They told the boy no and said that he needed to finish eating his dinner.
The boy’s parents went into different rooms and left the boy unattended at the dinner table.
One of the parents noticed he wasn’t at the table and that the sliding glass door to the pool area was open. That’s when they saw the boy face down in the swimming pool.
They got the boy out of the pool, yelled for the other parent and then started CPR.
During CPR, the parent told investigators that they found a piece of hot dog in his mouth and pulled it out. The other parent called 9-1-1.
The toddler was taken to a hospital, where he died four days after he was found floating in the pool.
A pool gate was installed, but the child was able to pull a section of it apart and squeeze through, investigators said. The boy did not know how to swim.
The post Cape Coal toddler dies after drowning in family pool appeared first on NBC2 News.